Saturday, May 15, 2010

Getting to know me

You know, when my Macroeconomics professor suggested last year that students should start blogs to solidify their understanding of the subject, he got mostly laughs. Even I was skeptical at first, and I paid little attention to the idea at the time.

Some time later, here I am writing my first post. I snatched up the blog itself not long after that sage advice was given, but I never knew what to write. Out of all the material that finds its way into my brain, none of it seemed relevant or easy to elaborate on. So I promptly forgot about the idea again.

These days, I find myself constantly sharing ideas with people who, although interested, care very little about them. I post countless news and related articles (not all economics, of course) to my friends, who, based on the number of responses I get, likely care as much about my thoughts as those of a Jehovah's Witness. Which is too bad, because unlike God or his many mythical counterparts, economics has much to do with our everyday lives.

Of course, it turns out I was wrong about one thing; people actually do care about what I write. I spoke to several of my friends about the lack of responses and they actually cited specific articles that has intrigued them but they had never bothered to tell me about. Barring any demonstrated interest from my current audience, I decided a more prudent approach for me would be to have a space dedicated exclusively to the organized insanity that is macroeconomics, where people could read my stuff willingly and not hate me for posting things that interrupt their Farmville. Upon arriving at that thought, I also remembered I had a blog in storage. Needless to say, I put two and two together and my first post was born.

With that history to the side, I want to welcome everyone to this space. I have biases on this subject (as we all do) that will show themselves over time, and I would love to have some debate, or even a simple comment to show that my words are not vanishing into empty space. I would also love suggestions for something to research or post about, as, although I defy stereotypes by being marginally clever with my words on occasion, it is mathematically impossible for an economist to display any semblance of creativity. And I'm lazy.

With that, I cut the metaphorical ribbon and bid you all become rabid, addicted readers. Or just readers, if that suits you better.

1 comment:

  1. This post is hillarious and has inspired me to comment on your blog (something I've never done on anyone's blog before). Whoever said you couldn't be creative?

    ReplyDelete